Powered by Blogger.

Sunburst Mojo

Hi everyone!  Welcome to another week!  It's the last Monday of the month, so that means it's my favorite time over at Mojo Monday... round or square sketch week!  I just love making non-traditional sized cards.  For those of you who wonder, I usually keep the sizes of my circle and square cards 4.25" and under so they fit in regular A2 envelopes.  For circle cards, the largest scallop circle Nestabilities are just under 4.25", so they're just perfect.  My Mojo158 sample card for today features the Great Friend set from Verve.


There are several ways to make circle cards, but I prefer the easel back style.  It's super simple to do, too!  Just cut two cardstock circles, then take the back one and score a straight line between the top 3 scallops (you can do more if you want, but that's how many I do).  Apply glue above the score line  (I use something strong like sticky strip or Zip Dry, so it won't come apart)  and then just align the scallops on the two pieces and glue.  Here's a little photo of the back side for a visual. 

The paper is from the Olivia collection by Bo Bunny. I cut the shapes for the sketch, then stitched a little ribbon to ruffle and run across my two horizontal panels.  Next up I used the slight embossed line around my DP circle as a guide to make a dotted frame around the edge with an early espresso marker.  This circle is matted with a groovy guava circle embossed with swiss dots and sponged with groovy guava.  For the flower accent, I stamped the medium and small outline flowers from Great Friend onto patterned paper, cut out and layered, then embossed one more small flower on vellum, rubbed it with some groovy guava ink and layered on top to soften the effect a little.

That sunburst in the flower center is an absolutely gorgeous embellishment from Pizzazz Aplenty.  I just love how sparkly it is - Mark even commented on its coolness factor, so that's saying something!  :)  Then I just finished off the card with the for you sentiment from Great Friend stamped in early espresso and three little 3mm clear rhinestones, also from Pizzazz Aplenty.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I hope you have a fabulous start to your week!

28 comments

My Inkie Fingers said...

The way you do it is perfect! I really like this scallop card! Oh how I wish I had more 'playtime' right now =(

Cindy Haffner said...

Julee this is GORGEOUS, I love that big diamond!!

SueB said...

So that's how you do it! I love the "full circle" circle cards - thanks for showing your technique. You are so talented and I love reading your blog. Thanks for making my cup of coffee more enjoyable!

Vickie Z said...

This is gorgeous!!! Those papers are wonderful and the sunburst, WOW!!

daisydilly (vicki) said...

I've always wondered how the circle cards were made so thanks for sharing. Your card is beautiful as usual. Love these colors

Keva said...

Awesome! Thank you fo rthe instructions. I think I might try to do a circle card this time.

Your card is beautiful! I love the colors and that bling rocks.

Lisa Freeman said...

I love this card....especially how you did the ribbon

Maureen said...

oh, oh, oh...Julee!!! LOVE that rhinestone center :) I need sunglasses!!! I was using this same flower and sentiment for my VLV card this weekend...smart minds think alike!! LOL We have an inservice day today so it's pretty relaxing here :) AND sunny...bonus!! Have a great day yourself :)

Michelle Woerner said...

WHAAAAA...??? I love your version of the circle card. It is such a pain to do it the way I have done. Die cutting 2 pieces at a time and losing the "circle" at the top. I am so gonna try this. AND, I love your card too. Hugs,

Lynda Benden said...

This is just beautiful Julee!!! LOVE that flower center!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

This is gorgeous Julee! I can't wait until these arrive in my mailbox! And thanks for the tip on the easel style card! I have always done it folded, and I love this option!

Marisa said...

Like the easel backing to the circle card! Going to have to try this. Your card is GORGEOUS! Love the bling in the flower and the ruffled ribbon down the side. I'm tickled pink to know I got that same DP the other day :) Maybe, just maybe, every so hopeful that a little of your mojo is making it's way West. Have a great week :)

Mary Marsh said...

this is a beautiful card julee,thanks for the tip on how you make the round card-I just made one and I didnt like the straight edge look on the scallop.

Riet said...

What a gorgeous card Julee.

Hugs Riet.x

Debbie Henderson said...

Love the ribbon treatment and the layered flowers. Thanks for the "easel" card instructions, I would have never thought to complete mine that way!

Tina said...

So Pretty! I love it! Thanks so much for your circle card tutorial. It looks to be a lot easier than what I have done. I guess that means I need to play this week so I can check it out! Thanks always for your inspiration!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Pure Gorgeousness!! LOVE those papers!! (I just got those in the mail today!!) Those colors are fabulous, and that sparkly is the bomb!! WOW!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Julee!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for explaning how to make this card. I have been looking for it all over! It's such a beautiful card. I really admire your work of art!!! I really need to try this card myself when I have the time!!
Greetings from the Netherlands
Marja Rolfes-Lemson

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Julee!!

kathleenh said...

So beautiful! I love that dimensional flower and the gorgeous bling in the middle.

Lee Ann Vehstedt said...

I love your designs. I enjoy the round cards just for a change. I struggle drawing a straight line or making a round card. Close to My Heart now sells round cards. 12 cards/envelopes $5.95, which makes your ideas a breeze with the card already cut out.

simpa said...

Julee, I love circles almost as much as squares! Now I want to make round card and - here You are) - Mojo Monday challenge and your tutorial. Thanks!
Katya

Anonymous said...

Julee, this is stunning! Everything you make is always so inspiring!!!

Kristin Moore said...

Just had an "AHA" moment reading your description of how to do a circle card. Then a "DUH" moment- why oh why had I never thought of that?! Thanks for the super easy directions!

marlene said...

Greeat circle card have to try this.
Marlene

RoO said...

ooh, beautiful card!
thank u for the notation!

Kelley said...

I'm always interested in how people make their circle cards. I find the method you use to be the best. Thank you for sharing.

Laureen said...

Pretty card and thank you showiing us how to make the round card. I am going to try it tonight.

Do you make your own evenlope for this card? Please do let me know. Thanks!