Powered by Blogger.

Have a Happy Day

I think in my 10 years of designing stamps, this sentiment from the Be Blessed set is one of my all-time favorites. Who wouldn't want a big old wish for a happy day in their mailbox? Do you mail a lot of cards? Sadly, I do not. I fully intend to, and usually have a recipient in mind for the cards I make. But sometimes writing the words, finding an envelope to fit, and figuring out the postage for my very bulky cards is just more than my little overwhelmed heart can handle. But it certainly brightens my day when I receive a card in the mail, so I'm trying to make an effort to send more out.


As I mentioned in my last post, my boys were CRAZY yesterday. I don't deal well with conflict, and these boys have this eternal struggle with each other that could put Cain and Abel to shame. Or at least Jacob and Esau. After a day of listening to their not-so-civil war, and arbitrating fragile peace treaty infringements,  I was more than ready to relinquish them to their Dad for some basketball and Risk in the evening. I headed up the stairs and surprised myself by deciding to forgo the book and a rocking chair that had been calling my name and headed instead to my stamp room to make a card filled with happy using the August Viva la Verve sketch.

The sketch is perfect for using up patterned paper, so I sifted through the stacks of 6 x 6 pads in my cupboard until I came across a very thin one. It only had 4 papers left in it! Such a rarity that I would have used up all but a few papers from a single pad. So I just had to work on using those remaining papers, and this is the card that ensued.


I added a little antique linen and vintage photo ink to all the layers to make them stand out. The three strips are taped together and then I embossed the sentiment from Be Blessed in early espresso.  The flowers are from the Button Best stamp set, and I stamped them directly on patterned paper in abandoned coral and then cut with the Petal Points Die Set.  I added some Sprightly Sprigs die cuts in early espresso and finished off with some chocolate liquid pearls and a bumpy rhinestone for the flower center.

I hope you'll play along with this month's Viva la Verve sketch. I'm so enjoying seeing the cards in the link up.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a fantabulous weekend.

Enabler's List
Stamps: Be Blessed, Button Best (Verve Stamps)
Paper: Howdy Doody (My Mind's Eye), early espresso, cream
Ink: vintage photo, antique linen distress (Ranger), early espresso (SU!)
Accessories: Petal Points Die Set, Sprightly Sprigs Die Set (A Cut Above by VERVE), clear embossing powder (Judikins), adhesive bump rhinestone (Recollections), chocolate liquid pearls (Ranger)




10 comments

Lucy E. said...

What a lovely card! I'm glad to hear that you got some crafty "therapy" time last night. I snuck in about 30 minutes to finish a card and even those few minutes made me happy. I do send most of the cards I make, but I'm sure I haven't made near as many as you have made. Every so often, I package up the unused ones and mail them to my last surviving aunt who is more and more housebound due to health issues. She did so many crafts through the years (everything except papercrafting) and appreciates having hand made cards to mail to friends and family. I include envelopes and stamps. I try to inform her if I think a card may require a little more postage, but most of my cards are within the regular weight. Another crafty designer friend just had a "promotion" for her charity. She did a blog post and said if you give to her charity, she would mail you 6 cards of your choice from her excess cards. I did it and now am going to forward her cards to my aunt mentioned above. So we all win! Maybe you could do a similar charity fundraiser with excess cards. Or bundle them up in small packs (of 3?) and use them as part of a blog prize, for your company. I'd love getting some of your cards!

Tricia T said...

What a pretty card, Julee! I'm so glad you got to play in your craft room last night!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, sweet Julee, I'm so glad you had some crafty time last night. You needed it, and what a beautiful card! I need to challenge myself to use my DP, and bravo for using this. It's beautiful! I also struggle with sitting down and writing cards. I want and need to send cards to a number of people, so I am praying that God would really put it on my heart to set some time aside (definitely) to write even one card a day. That's a doable goal, right? :) It would seem so, but I need to do it. Well, how about our doing that. I love receiving the pieces from you to make a card, and you are such an encouragement. I love your stamps and especially love this card! Thanks, and may God give you a beautiful day today! Hugs and love! xoxo

JoAnn said...

Sooo pretty. Love the colors and papers. So glad you went to your craft room instead of the rocking chair and book. :)
Have a blessed week.

Marisa said...

I am swooning over those gorgeous fall colours - my favorites :) Glad you were able to get some creative time to feed your soul. Boys are such a different breed and I can imagine the tussles they get into! Huge cyber ((hugs)) for you mama!

Purple Princess said...

The flower is gorgeous!!

Nancy said...

Gorgeous card Julee! Glad you could slip away for some Me time! Yes, I mail out a ton of cards in fact currently have zero in my stash! Hope your week improves with your boys! HUGS!

Marlena M. said...

Julee, this is gorgeous! Love that you could use the last of a pack~ I'm on the same page about mailing the cards~trust me!

stampfoldandrepeat (Jeanie) said...

This is gorgeous. I love how you so effortlessly pair patterned papers into a stunning card!

Thanks also for stopping by my blog and IG, and leaving such nice comments!

bristowmom said...

Beautiful card. I haven't stamped for months, but your card may be just the inspiration I need to get back at it.