Powered by Blogger.

It is Well Mixed-Media Canvas

Hi friends!  It's time for Day 3 of Verve's Spotlight Hops and today the Divas are shining their spotlights on Surely Goodness and the Happy Anniversary Plain Jane.  If you've already been hopping you should have arrived from Jen Shults' blog.  If not, why not hop right in!?  The master hop list is at the bottom of this post and you can check out all the prize details (YES, you can win free stamps for commenting on the Diva blogs!) over on the Verve Blog.  All of the stamps & dies you see previewed will be available in the Verve Store on Friday, February 22  (only one more sleep)!


Today I have a mixed-media canvas to share with you.  The stamping is very simple... just the It is well with my soul sentiment and the word peace in the background (both from the Surely Goodness set).  I had intended on making a card to really showcase this set, but between twins and business and taxes and trying to get the website ready for release I just didn't have time to make a card.  However, I know the girls will be showcasing the fun flowers in this set, so be sure to hop around and see it all.  Instead you get to see a canvas I made just for fun.

The flowers on my 5 x 7" canvas board are made with the Donna Downey Poppies & Peonies stencil.  After applying gesso to the canvas, I used the stencil with some clear tar gel, then added acrylic paints and gelatos for the background.  I was going for a resist technique, but I didn't let the tar gel dry enough so the resist wasn't as apparent as I would have liked.  After a little shading with a Faber-Castell big brush pen and the stamping of the sentiment, here's what the work in progress photo looked like.  See how my yellows bled into my resist and my flowers are not-so-white?

Not to worry!  Since it was a stencil, I was able to just line the stencil back up over my canvas and add a thick layer of light modeling paste.  Then I waited a good long time to make sure everything was dry this time!  I did a little touch up of the grey big brush shadowing around the flowers, then lined up my sentiment and stamped it again and embossed it so it would stand out.

Next I pulled out the Koi watercolors that Mark got me for my birthday this year and I still hadn't had a chance to use.  I had a lot of fun coloring in the flowers and stems with the watercolors.  It was so cool to see how the pigment moved on the texture of the modeling paste.  I think that's what I love most about mixed-media... the discovery!

Anyhow, I just love they hymn It is Well and was singing it all the while I made this canvas.  The song reminds me of my Grandpa.  I sang this song constantly for several weeks after he passed away it was the on thing that kept the grief at bay.  So I decided that peace was  the perfect thing to put in the background to add a little "texture" to the piece.  I stamped the sentiment in Pumice Stone distress ink randomly on the canvas, trying to make it darker in some parts and lighter in others.

My final addition was working a bit of Mint Julep spray onto the corners and waterbrushing into the stems to give a richer color contrast to the piece and tie the colors together.  I finished with a bit more grey big brush shading around the edges, then sealed with a workable fixative.

Okay, there's still lots of eye candy to go, so I'll just leave you with the hop list and enabler's list.  Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you back here tomorrow for our release day hop!  Next up on the hop is my fabulous friend, Laurie!

1. Amber7. Julee
2. Andrea8. Laurie S.
3. Charmaine9. Laurie W.
4. Christyne10. Marisa
5. Janelle11. Maureen
6. Jen S.12. Teresa

Enabler's List
Stamps: Surely Goodness (Verve Stamps)
Paper: 5 x 7" canvas board (Art Advantage)
Ink: Archival black, Pumice Stone Distress (Ranger), Big Brush Pens, Gelatos (Faber-castell)
Accessories: Poppies & Peonies Donna Downey stencil, light modeling paste, clear tar gel, acrylic paints, gesso, Koi watercolors, waterbrush, Mr. Huey Mint Julep spray (Studio Calico), clear embossing powder

60 comments

sheetal said...

This is really different way of stamping..which i have never done...Impressed !!!

Mary Ann said...

WOW!Beautiful work,Always wanted to try this...

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my word, Julee! GORGEOUS!!!

dj said...

wowsers...what a cool technique!! Will have to try it!! I am loving this hop and all your beautiful new items...you always shine!! That calendar one....wowsers!! Every scrapbooker will want that one!!

www.CardsPaperAndScrapbooks.com

Cindi said...

Beautiful canvas! I love how the flowers turned out.

Tricia T said...

Lovely! It is well is one of my favorite hymns, too. And I love Psalm 23. Great set!!!

Tricia

Betty said...

Gorgeous art!! Love that hymn and how you combined it with 'peace'...perfect combo! Thanks for sharing!

mdog said...

WOW!! I would think it would have been easier to make a card! You are amazing! Love it!

Margaret Morris said...

I love that you used mixed media for this sentiment and love the story behind it even more. I have been wanting to try mixed media and you made it seem easier than I think it is.

Basement Stamper said...

beautiful canvas that saying displays so well with those textured flowers.

Rom-a said...

coś wspaniałego.........

Gregsgirl's crafty corner said...

wow this is a work of art, gorgeous

scrappingnana said...

Great project. Very creative. Love the sentiment (that is one of my favorite hymns).

Luanne said...

Artistically awesome! Oh my, this is beautiful! And you've shown us another way to creat with this beautiful flower! Love it....

Marisa said...

That flower is fabulous, Julee!! Love how you added the molding gel and popped it up! I LOVE that sentiment and have been singing that hymn for quite a few days now :)

Riet said...

What a gorgeous card.

Hugs Riet.xx

Cindy said...

Very pretty card. Love your color
combination.

huginafold said...

Awesome! Thank you for explaining how you made it. I am going to have to try the techniques out myself now I've seen what you can achieve! I don't know the hymn you refer to but it is obviously one that you are emotionally attached to and that i think has inspired you on an emotional as well as an artistic level. Truly beautiful. x

Rosemary said...

what a gorgeous work of art!!

Miriam Prantner said...

I love this hymn also, and I love how the canvas turned out, it is just beautiful!

Darlene Gabriel said...

This is stunning! I was already loving this new set from all the peeks today, but this "It is well with my soul" has put it over the top. I love this old hymn and this set is going to be a must have.

jan farnworth said...

wow how fun is this.

Denise Bryant said...

Gorgeous! Love all that texture and color!

Lee-Anne said...

I hope this is hanging somewhere prominent in your home, Julee! It is such a beautiful piece of art work! Love the background and of course...your new sentiment!

Kristie Goulet said...

My favorite hymn of all times! LOVE it and your card!

Kristie Goulet said...

My favorite hymn of all times! LOVE it and your card!

designbydonna said...

Inpressive. Gorgeous. Beautiful colors.

Tamika said...

Your card is fabulous!

Kathy said...

How pretty. Love the versatility of the stamps, perfect for a canvas wall decoration. Got to give this a go some time.

Heather said...

This is beautiful! Though I can't image that it didn't take a bit of time and work, too. It's fun to see stamping used in a way other than "papercrafting".

wilber said...

Wow, your card is beautiful, thank you for the inspiration!

Elina Stromberg said...

I love this canvas! It was interesting to read the story behind the creative process. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sabrina said...

Beautiful Canvas!

Unknown said...

Julee you are such a talented lady! I will have to just stick to my cards LOL. Your canvas is just gorgeous!

Kelly said...

beautiful...would love this art piece in my home. I love that old hymn too!

Melissa said...

Lovely!

Unknown said...

Wow! This canvas is great. I never thought to use my stencils on a canvas. I'll be digging them out and trying this technique. The word stamp was a great added touch.

Kerian said...

Wow, what a great canvas thanks for sharing the process.

Lynn said...

Wow! The mixed media is awesome!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

Gorgeous!! I love your mixed media projects, Julee!

Ravengirl said...

What a beautiful and deeply personal piece! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Christine said...

Your canvas is gorgeous! That is one of my favorite hymns, and you have given it a wonderful backdrop!

Kris B said...

This is an amazing work of art! It is simply gorgeous! TFS God bless!!

Vickie Z said...

Julee...this so fun and creative! Fabulous Save! Love those flowers with the sentiments!!

Heidi said...

Look at you girl, just expanding all this mix media stuff...fabulous.

Mary-Anne V said...

Wow stunning..this is truly one work of art!

Ava Gavloski said...

julee, love all the detail in your post to tell us your experience and how you ended up getting the LOOK.... nice showcasing of the stamp.
ava g

Sue D said...

Love your canvas!

Wanda Cullen said...

Your canvas is stunning, Julie! How ironic that I just played that song on the piano at church this past Sunday...love it, too!

Elizabeth said...

What a lovely project! And what a talented lady! So glad you followed your heart. =)

Kris in Alaska said...

Wowsers! Fabulous!

Kris in Alaska
funamom at yahoo dot com

Julia M said...

Love all your mixed media projects....very inspiring.

Kathy S said...

Love that stencil. TFS

Unknown said...

Your canvas is stunning! ♥

Unknown said...

Love your project, you are incredibly talented!

craftymom205 said...

Beautiful card.

craftymom205 at yahoo dot com

maria f. said...

I really like seeing stamps used in mixed media projects. TFS. Beautiful piece.

kanatanewf said...

A beautiful canvas - makes we want to give this a try!

Rachel V said...

This is a beautiful mixed media canvas. I really like the way you stamped "peace" in the background.

Annheidel said...

Wow, this is amazing!