Expressions of the Heart and a Spotlight Hop!

Hey friends!  It's Day 2 of our July New Release Spotlights!  Hop along with the Divas as we share our first looks at one of the new sets releasing this Friday night!  One lucky commenter from each day's hop will win the entire release, so be sure and leave a little love in the Divasphere!  That's right, just leave a little shout-out in the comments as you hop about today for a chance to win the ENTIRE July release! Check out the Verve Blog today for all the prize details and deadlines.
Today the Divas and our July Guest Diva, Robin Shakoor, are sharing previews of a set called Words Cannot Express.  It's a thank you set centered on those times when it just doesn't even feel like words could be enough to show your gratitude... for those times when someone overwhelms you with generosity.  Inspired by submissions from Divas Susan and Shannan who couldn't find the right words in stamp form when they were thanking those who lent a hand in a time of need, I designed this set with a casual but elegant scripted font so the type wouldn't distract from the meaning of the sentiments.  I love the way it turned out, and can see myself reaching for it again and again.


So here's my inaugural card using Words Cannot Express.  If you read my blog regularly, you know that I've been delving into the world of mixed-media art lately.  A couple of weeks ago, I saw a video tutorial on Christy Tomlinson's blog about rolling paper for an accent in art journals.  I immediately tried it out on an art journal page and loved it, so yesterday when I was deciding what to stamp for this hop, I remembered how fun this technique was and pulled out a little sheet music and rolled away!

I chose music as my theme to go with the sentiment, "Words cannot express how grateful we are for your friendship".  I feel like music can often speak so much more than words alone and intend to add a little iTunes gift card inside when I give this card away.  I've used distress stains for most of the color on the page.  I tried stamping the sentiment from Words Cannot Express directly on the rolled paper, but my surface was uneven, so I decided to emboss the sentiment onto vellum, color with stains and layer over the rolled paper with mod podge.  I added a heart and layered the large and small flowers from New Mercies for a little embellishment, then used the music note from the Home Tweet Home CutUps die (from The Cat's Pajamas) for a little accent in the corner.  My shabby ribbon wasn't quite the right shade, so I inked it up with Broken China distress stain (can you tell I'm totally addicted to those stains now?) for the perfect match.

Well, there you have it!  Next up on the hop is our talented Guest Diva, Robin Shakoor, and I just know her project is going to make you drool!  Happy hopping!


1. Julee7. Amy
2. Robin {Guest}8. Teresa
3. Sankari9. Laurie
4. Amber10. Jackie
5. Tosh11. Andrea
6. Charmaine
Enabler's List:
Stamps: Words Cannot Express, New Mercies (Verve Stamps)
Paper:
Crumb Cake, Vellum Cardstock (SU!), Natural White (Neenah), vintage sheet music, Courtyard DP (Echo Park)
Ink: Wild Honey, Broken China, Antique Linen, and Walnut Stain Distress Stains, Jet Black and Coffee Archival Ink (Ranger), Copic markers
Accessories:
Home Tweet Home CutUps (TCP), Gridlock Texture Fades, Hearts Movers & Shapers (Tim Holtz), clear detail embossing powder (JudiKins), ModPodge, shabby wrinkled ribbon (Prairie Bird Boutique on Etsy), lace trim, Oregon Rain drops (Pink Hedgehog)

95 comments

  1. Definitely delving into that mixed media! What great texture and depth. Love your stains on the vellum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love orange and blue together, and all of the inking and distressing on this just makes it even better! So fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julee I absolutely love all the textures going on here! Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful this is...love the distressed altered look and the heartfelt sentiment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool and so different from anything I have seen in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty and creative! I love the blues and browns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magical! I so agree with you about using music to express what we can't say in words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what gorgeous colors to highlight the sentiment! I love this card and that sentiment would get used a lot in my house:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS! Love all the texture to this card and that seam binding is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card Julee. Love the colors and layout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - so many textures and details! A uniquely beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your "artsy" style on this! Music is a big part of my life, and I love what this says, and how you plan to use it! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Mixed Media theme. The results are fabulous! I am eager to see all the stamps in this set. Beautiful card! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely project, the detail is awesome, thanks for the inspiration!

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the look to this card!!the team is really out doing themselves with this new set!
    Carol N<><

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous. Love all the textures and layers, and the colors are awesome. I am enjoying the sentiments and designs of the new sets. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. I. Have. No. Words.

    This is STUNNING, Julee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love all the gorgeous depth, texture and details.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is really cool Julee. I really like the textures and the ink/color on top of the textures as well as the combination of colors. It's very beautiful. I love all the distressing as well. Wonderful card to go with that wonderful sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this just has me drooling, Julee :) I am loving these sneak peeks...the Divas and yourself have out done it again :) Love the music sheet addition :) {swoon}

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is gorgeous! The rich, saturated colors are wonderful, and the whole project is sure to please the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awwww, Julee - you really ROCK this mixed media thing! This card is fabulous and the colors are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Wow! Wow! I just don't know what else to say about this AMAZING creation expcept, Wow, Wow Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Julee, definitely a wow! I love the bow with the I-don't-know-what-to-call-it wide weave burlap! The combo is perfect and something I don't seem able to manage myself so thanks for the inspiration -- and it's true, it's a perfect sentiment I've never seen elsewhere. This is going to be an expensive release for me I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful collagey creation!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jaw dropping Glorious! WOW! I'm so excited for new Verve sets ... LOVING the sneak peeks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a gorgeous card! I love those ink/stain colors and the rolled paper idea is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful use of color!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. As always, your project is nothing short of spectactular! I am always inspired by your projects and this one is no exception. I love the mixed media!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great card!! Great hop!! Everyone did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Julee, this is just beautiful! Those rolled corners and stained background papers are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! What a beautiful work of art!! Inspires me to shop Verve

    ReplyDelete
  34. WoW!!!...this is gorgeous. I'm really loving this mixed media style....thanks for the awesome inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I adore the way you made this look liked the "new" mixed media! I might have to try and CASE this one!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous Julee! I love the look of this, I'm scared to try something like this myself, lol. Truly gorgeous, thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic card! Great texture and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Pretty! Love the colors and all that texture!

    ReplyDelete
  39. love the color combi and the distressed look.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous card, love how the rolled paper adds dimension and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have been meaning to try out the rolled paper embellishing, you've given me the kick I need! I love this colour combination - you never cease to impress and inspire, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your work is simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Incredible card.The texture and color are sensational. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is so pretty, Julee - I've been loving the new looks to your cards lately and the mixed media you're using!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love this!!! So much texture and fun going on! You've inspired me to dip my foot in mixed media too!!! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Mixed media scares me...that's why I LOVE to see how other people use it! This is just gorgeous! Looks like it's going to be another one of those must have sets!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow I really love this card! It is so beautiful! Love the colors, the music sheet and music note!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love this vintage card Julee! That ribbon color is such a deep rich color of turquoise.....love it paired with the music notes!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is so amazing! I love your new mixed media look. I just got some of the distress stains and I am totally loving them! My favorite thing about Verve is the sentiments and great fonts and you have hit another home run this time! Can't wait to see the whole set. Have a fantastic day, Julee!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your card I's beautiful! I love your use of Altered Art! That seems to be the way to go. Great Card!

    ReplyDelete
  51. such a beautiful card! I noticed the paper roll. right off. This happens to most of my cards but not on purose and with such style.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Simply Beautiful! I'm so excited for this release!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is so incredible...the colors, the rolled paper, and the layout! ;) I was really inspired by your "about me". So glad you were encouraged! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  54. This card is music to my eyes! So fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Holy Shabby Chic Batman!! Wow there is so much with this card that I could stare at it for hours! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Love the mixed media and the use of the vellum! The colors are so well blended! A+++

    ReplyDelete
  57. Absolutely stunning card! I love your use of mixed media. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  58. What beautiful work. The pieces and colours you have used go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I love your card the colors are pretty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  60. WOW... How perfect is this!!! Love the colors on both the music paper and then on the note!! Perfect with the brown's bg!! This sentiment is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Lovely card.

    craftymom205 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  62. This card takes my breath away. AMAZING creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Wow, so much going on here I don't know where to start! Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Loving that mixed media side to you Julee! The colors that you blend together are always so complimentary and eye catching! Vibrant hues and gorgeous accents...on...every...card! Love coming here to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  65. the colors and textures are fabulous - i love this look!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Absolutely a magnificent card! Great layers of textures.

    ReplyDelete
  67. So intricate and beautiful! Love the vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wow, this is gorgeous! I love the music theme and all the little details. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Such a pretty card. The sentiment is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  70. such neat colors!!! and the rolling is so fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  71. GReat sentiment, love the music to go with it! Super idea to roll those sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  72. What a fantastic creation - I love all the textures...

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love the music theme on this card and I agree that music can so often speak when words can't. This sentiment is wonderful. I love all the extra details you added too - the heart and so much texture.

    ReplyDelete
  74. This card is gorgeous! I love the turquoise/orange/green color combination and the mix of textures. And, I and will definitely be checking out that rolled paper tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Wow, wow, wow! Julee, this is just amazing! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  76. If I could jump into this card and live there, I would!!! Amazing artistry! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  77. What an elaborate card so much going on and it all works

    ReplyDelete
  78. Oh my! Such incredible texture, beautiful depth in the color and just all around beautiful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  79. I like the way you did the sentiment and incorporated the music sheets, and very nice colors. Sounds like a fun new technique I've not heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Love the color of that ribbon and the use of the TCP HTH die! I need to incorporate more sheet music designs into my work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Fantastic card. So different and such clever combinations of colour and elements.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Amazing! The texture on this is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Love this mixed media card, Julee...you've definitely found your niche! (Well, another one, cos card making is DEFINITELY already one of your niches!) The colors are spectacular! I could stare at this card all day and find new and fabulous details! Rock on, my dear!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to brighten my day with a comment! I love hearing from you.

Back to Top