Powered by Blogger.

The Brave Thing To Do

Hi friends! There are so many thoughts swirling through my head today. The boys have finished Montessori school and summer is officially here and Verve closes for good this weekend. I don't deal well with transitions and usually avoid them at all costs and now there are transitions going on in pretty much every part of my life all at once! Ack!

One of my favorite movies is You've Got Mail and I always cry when Kathleen closes her shop. ALWAYS, always, always. I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch this movie right now, but I do remember a wonderful little scene that makes my heart feel a bit lighter today.

"Closing the store is the BRAVE thing to do...I know you don't feel it right now, you feel like a big, fat failure... but, YOU'RE NOT! You are marching into the unknown armed with.... nothing."  

Big, fat failure. How is it that we always see our failures so much clearer than our successes? One of my reasons for closing Verve is that overwhelming everyday feeling of failing at juggling being both a Mom and a business owner. Both are exceedingly tough, very rewarding, full-time jobs that are exhausting in their own right. I'm a very private, self-sufficient perfectionist, and I have a ridiculously hard time asking for help when I need it. RIDICULOUSLY hard. Crazy stuff like not sleeping and having intense panic attacks just to send an email to ask someone to be a guest designer. Crazy, right? Silently suffering through panic attacks, depression and heartbroken, soul wrenching emotions have been my companions the past few years of trying to balance a creative business and motherhood and it's time to lighten the load. So I do consider it the BRAVE thing to do to close my shop when I could continue going through the motions for many more years. I am marching into the unknown armed with nothing but my faith, my family and 11 years of memories from running a very loved business created from my heart. Seems like a lot more than nothing, don't you think?

I had intended to make a card for today, but the boys wanted me to play Monopoly Star Wars, and War and read Darth Vader and Son, and take them bowling and watch The Empire Strikes Back (sensing a theme?) yesterday and I just couldn't say no on their first day of summer break.  So I'm just highlighting a few cards from times gone by using the three sets that are still left in the shop.  All remaining stamps and dies are 75% off and Saturday is the final day!



This card uses sentiments from Geared Up and a robot image from Birthday Bots, but you could easily just substitute the robot in Geared Up to make the card. I added some Mickey Mouse punched shapes and drew in some balloon strings by hand for accent. I absolutely love using the numbers in this set for birthday cards. And the gears images make for an easy randomly stamped masculine card or steam punk background.


This card uses the Twitterpated stamp set. Love the sweet little butterfly, which I colored and then coated with glossy accents and a sprinkling of glitter. The sentiments are perfect for adding to a heart die cut or making a little sentiment banner. Such a sweet little set and I'm especially fond of the Hearts & Swirls frame in the set.


And finally, here's a favorite card I made with the Pinecone Christmas stamp set. No fancy coloring here, just embossing in gold on cream cardstock and layering with some circle die cuts.  Classy and elegant, this is one of my favorite Christmas sets. I also love the card below, where I used the pine branches and pinecone images and my MISTI for a watercolored stamping effect.


Thanks so much for stopping by today and listening to my rambling heart. Hope you have a wonderful day!

18 comments

Vickie ODell said...

There are many more sides to your story than you may realize. I wanted to learn how to make cards more effectively, so years ago started checking Mojo Monday for your sketch. Each Monday it was the first thing I'd do in the morning. Then I discovered Viva La Verve and Verve stamps and passed the website on to three of my Close To My Heart customers who liked scripture stamps. I truly believe that I learned to make cards through your sketches and your team's examples. But I wasn't the only one. I noticed that cardmakers from across the globe entered Mojo Monday. Those of us with Verve stamps will continue to add the scriptures and lovely sentiments to our cards. It's a big family that will keep spreading the influence like ripples in a lake across the globe. God's Word will never return unto Him void. I hope the word "failure" gets replaced with the idea of stepping into a new job, phase, or stage of life. And when your boys are grown there may be another new job as you face a different stage of life. In the meantime, many of us will continue to check out your blog posts when you have time to post and you will always be a gifted, creative lady who shares her heart and love for the Lord. Thank you for your time and influence in my life!

kiwimeskreations said...

Julee you are doing the right thing - a business can be closed and if it's the right time, resurrected, but family come first no matter what. Parenting is hard work, no need to make it harder by trying to be superwoman - seasons come and go, and the investment you are making into your family is way more valuable than any business, although that said, I can hear your heartbreak at putting aside something that has been so precious to you.
God is with you as you step into this new phase of life.
Blessings
Maxine

Purple Princess said...

Very nice cards!

Luanne said...

Thank you for all the wonderful things you’ve brought to us over these past years. Remember who’s walking with you as you go forward, and raise those beautiful boys! If you ever need encouragement, just read one of the verses you’ve given us, some of the very best!! Wishing you a future filled with more blessings than you can imagine!

Becca Yahrling said...

Oh Julee, I am sad to see the shop closing, BUT I am so thankful for the time it was open and all the pretty stamps & awesome dies I've been able to purchase (or win!). I don't like change either, but it's simply inevitable, and we just adapt, right? Just think of all the precious memories you are going to have with your beautiful boys! I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure there will be nothing better in your life! And down the road you could always open up shop again. Even ten years down the road, fifteen. Do you think any of us will forget you? Not hardly! :-) And I'm pretty sure that with the creative soul you have, you won't stop creating or coming up with new ideas. So for now, we will just enjoy your blog ...and look for lots of photos of the boys as they grow up (I hope!!). OK, and some beautiful cards, too. Until next time...hugs!! Becca xxoo

Dona Vogt said...

Thanks Julie, for all the years of inspiration! We are going to really miss Verve!!

Janice Rosenthal Rock said...

Absolutely nothing more important than your family!! You have chosen well, hard as it may be! Yes, we will miss Verve and your products . . .hopefully you can post cards once in awhile, as we love your creativity, too. But Verve will "live on" as we continue to use these wonderful, inspired stamps . . . surely a "God thing" that inspiration, which has blessed and will continue to bless so many lives, as we use them to do so. Blessings for this "new season" of your life!

Whimsey said...

YOU are enough.
YOU are strong.
YOU are brave.
#always
And there is no one in this world you will speak to more than yourself, speak kindly, love deeply.

<3

JoAnn said...

Thank you for all you have shared with us. You are definitely a strong and brave person. You are doing the right thing. Enjoy your time with your family. Much love and prayers.

Sillyfilly said...

Julie God will direct your path. To me this is not a failure because you are closing the store. You want to be a good mother and have chosen to spend quality time with your children. Good for you. I as a customer will surely miss you. I love your style and your art. Praying Psalms 29:11. Good luck in all you do.

Heather S. said...

Oh Julee - Failure: ABSOLUTELY NOT. Not in any way. Amazing: ABSOLUTELY!

I know how crazy life has been in our daughter's household ever since her twins arrived on the scene 5 years ago (how has it already been 5 years!?!). You've brought great joy to many through your designs - and those of us lucky to own your stamps can continue to share that joy through our cards.

Enjoy your family without a shred of guilt or sense of failure. You've got this girl!

Stef Perry said...

Julee, you've made a brave and smart decision to close your store and focus on raising your two wonderful sons. Be joyful in whatever new things come your way, and surely there's nothing stopping you from starting a new company one day, if the time is right and you have the desire to do so.

Thank you for all the years of inspiration, through your beautiful Verve products and Mojo Monday. Go, enjoy yourself and the freedom to craft for the fun of it when you're inspired to, not for a deadline!

CaroleAnn said...

Julee, you have inspired so many with your wonderful stamps, your creative flair, and your inspirational stamps have meant so much to me. I am so happy I have had the years you gave us. But now, you need to take this time with your boys and you will never look on this than anything other than a beautiful, loving, success story - just like "You Got Mail". I love that movie by the way and cry too at that spot of the movie!!!! Your family is only young once and these years go by so fast. Besides you never know, down the road you may be creating a new adventure for yourself. This is just a new chapter in your life with many more wonderful chapters to follow with those beautiful boys!!! Enjoy, enjoy, and have fun creating your beautiful cards when you have time and not for deadlines!!!! Your faith will get you thru. Isaiah 26:3 Big hugs xxoo

Allie said...

Hi Julee,
I wanted to share a blog post I made highlighting some of my favourite Verve products and creations if you want to take a look:
https://allyouneedisloveinthekootenays.blogspot.com/2018/06/farewell-verve.html
Thank you for sharing your love, creativity, and energy with us all! You are greatly inspiring in so many ways!

Janine said...

You have inspired so many with your creations and stamps and you will be inspiration to your boys. Look after yourself and see where God leads you. Some beautiful projects xx

Connie said...

I have continued to be amazed at your awesome creativity and beautiful pieces of art. Your stamps and dies are well used and well loved in my heart and home. The Scripture stamps are particularly my favorites and your fonts are truly beautiful.
I’m sad for me and the rest of the stamping world as you close Verve but you have shared a gift that will last and last and now you have chosen the BEST because your family is of far more importance than anything. Taking away the panic, deadlines etc will bring more peace than you can imagine.
Thank you and nay God bless you and your sweet family!!

Tammy Nyenhuis said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that! I have loved everything that you have done, your stamps were amazing and your cards... just gorgeous. I hope that your life settles down to what you want it to be and enjoy your children - they aren't little forever and they grow up fast these days!

Patti Rosenthal said...

Thank you for sharing your life's triumphs and tribulations - TRIUMPHS being the operative word!!! - as well as your talent and, especially, your faith. I'm delighted that I have a goodly supply of your Christian stamps and dies, enough to keep your "pebble" that was dropped into my "pond" rippling through countless lives for years to come. I think you made a difficult decision in closing your shop, but the right one for you. At my age of 63, I look back at my life, which was spent raising my two sons, and I am thankful for the opportunity to have been there for them. It was worth the sacrifice. They are both wonderful men, as your little boys will undoubtedly be one day because of your decision to focus on your family. I think of Proverbs 31. Blessings!