Powered by Blogger.

You Are A Treasure

Happy Saturday! This week's Our Creative Corner challenge is hosted by Amy Sheffer and there's a cool prize being offered up by our Guest Designer, Michelle Rodgers of Stamper's Dream. Check out all the challenge details and the gorgeous cards by Michelle and the OCC girls on the Our Creative Corner blog.

This week's challenge is to use any kind of stitching on a card, as long as it's not white stitching. Well, my Janome sewing machine has been on the fritz and is dropping stitches. And since the reason I bought the machine was for my stitches to look professional and not homespun, I decided to go with faux stitching for this challenge. My card features the new Arrgh! Piratey! set from The Cat's Pajamas and lotsa lotsa faux stitching. ;)

I hadn't made a gate fold card in a while, so I decided it would be a cool thing to do with a treasure chest stamp. Kind of like finding buried treasure. LOL! So I pulled out my Scor-Pal to score the lines and then stamped the chest in Memento Rich Cocoa on Classic Cream cardstock. Next I colored with Copic markers and Spica Glitter pens, then stamped all around the panel with the skull & crossbones. I sponged the edges with two different shades of Ranger Distress Ink (Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain, I think), then I pierced holes all around the edges and connected with a brown marker for some faux stitching. I liked the look so much, I decided to continue it on all the panels on the card. The sentiment is stamped with Versafine Crimson Red ink and I used the small compass stamp around the outer edges. For the closure, I just punched some circles and attached a BasicGrey magnetic snap to the circle. I made an identical circle and magnet for the other side of the card, so they snap together to keep the card closed.

I decided to go for a treasure map look once you open the card, so I stamped the skull & swords stamp in Crimson Red Versafine ink in the corner, then used a pen to draw a little stitched border around the inner edges. I finished off with some more sponging for that nice vintage look, and voila!

I adore these pirate stamps, and you can pick them up with a couple other holiday TCP sets right now for dirt cheap. Just look for the Kitty Kat Pack to save $15, and be sure to say hi to Alma for me! :)

6 comments

Denise Marzec said...

Love the cool fold and all the sponging. Looks great!

Dawn Easton said...

Awesome card Julee! Love your faux stitching and all that sponging!

Anonymous said...

hey girlfriend.....put a new needle on your sewing machine, they dull very quickly sewing on paper!! Then rethread it, don't ask me why, but it always works!! Oh heck, I'll just drive over and help ya......heheheh....oh sigh....I wish!!

squirrellyshirley

Unknown said...

GREAT card, Julee! I love the special fold and especially that you decorated the inside of the card. Awesome colors and design...so many details.

Jennifer Meyer said...

Hi Julee, your card is just darling! LOVE the fun design and gorgeous shading!

Have a wonderful time on vacation!
Jennifer :)

MintStamps said...

I love it, just like pretty much everything you do. I have to say, you really made my day! Thanks for the awesome inspiration and comment.