Powered by Blogger.

Hibiscus Cool

Hi friends!  It's Friday and time for the final May Viva la Verve sketch.  This one's hosted by the always fabulous Anya.  My first look at the sketch looked like a post card, so that's where my inspiration led me.


I started with a couple of patterns from the Dolled Up paper pack.  I loved the one that says start everyday with a smile, so cut it so that portion would show, then cut the pink gingham piece for the other panel, sponged around the edges, taped together and glued to the aqua stripe paper.  Next I turned to the sentiment and settled on building my own with the Happy Days set.  I stamped the cool in strawberry slush on cream cardstock, then used a crumb cake marker on just one side of each marker and over stamped to add a hint of dimension.  Next I stamped the you're so sentiment in walnut stain and pulled out the  Borderline set for the row of stitches at the bottom.

I stamped the hibiscus duo from Happy Days in archival black, then water colored with NeoColor II watersoluble pastels and a waterbrush.  I added some white gel pen accents, then stamped the image again and colored just the leaves with twisted citron and forest moss distress ink and a waterbrush.  Fussy cut each piece, then popped up on dimensionals and accented the card with one rounded corner and a bit of linen thread.

You can guarantee that the Hibiscus Hula song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was running through my head on an endless loop the entire time I was making this card. I'm pretty sure the songs to that show have been branded into my long term memory!  :)

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I hope you have a wonderful start to your weekend!

May Week 5 Viva la Verve Sketch
Enabler's List
Stamps: Happy Days, Borderline (Verve Stamps)
Paper: Dolled Up (My Mind's Eye), cream (Neenah)
Ink: walnut stain distress, twisted citron, forest moss distress ink, black archival ink (Ranger), Strawberry Slush, Crumb Cake (SU!), Neocolor II Watersoluble pastels (Caran d'Ache)
Accessories: corner rounder (WRMK), linen thread (SU!), wood veneer (Evalicious)

7 comments

Peggie Sue @ Maxx and Boo said...

Gorgeous card! As always, your creations are simply wonderful!

Marisa said...

Gorgeous mix of wood paneling with the flowers and colour combo. Yes, I have some songs from shows my kids used to watch permanently imbedded in my mind too LOL! Happy Friday and have a great weekend :)

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card. Love the papers and pretty hibiscus.

Petra Swart said...

Beautiful, Julee!!!! Love the mix of patterned papers - the colours are lovely!!!!
Have a great day!!
PS. Thanks for your visits to my blog and leaving such lovely comments - so very much appreciated!!!!

Basement Stamper said...

love all the elements of your card! very pretty.

Jennipher said...

Such a fabulous combination of papers, stamps and embellishments! You pulled it all together wonderfully.

Cheryl said...

How pretty! It does have a bit of a "wish you were here" feel. Love the extra long flourishy tails on the twine bow.