Powered by Blogger.

Shabby Viva la Verve

Hi friends! It's the first Friday in November and that means it's time for a brand new Viva la Verve sketch. This month's sketch has lots of straight lines for those of you who like them, and it's easy to dress up or down depending on your style.


I went a little shabby for my sample card, so more is more! I get lot of requests for sketch measurements, and I've kind of shied away from doing it for a couple of reasons.  1. I don't like to measure things. Unless I'm making a treat box where measurements are imperative, I just wing it.  2. I don't want anyone to feel they have to make their card the same way I did. The sketches are open to interpretation so that you can make the sketch fit the images and stamps you want to use, not the other way around. However, I'm trying out adding the measurements to the sketch image this month.  Let me know if you like to have them.  If not, there's no reason for me to have to measure each month. {grin}

My card started with this stamped panel that was in my leftovers bin from a previous stamping session. The Psalm 34:18 verse and the flower from Scripture Medley 5 were embossed in early espresso ink with clear embossing powder.  I decided to go for an autumn feel to the card, so colored the flower with copics and then sponged the edges with distress ink.


Next I started on the background. I stenciled a leaf stencil (quite messily, if I do say so myself) with modeling paste. I got a new craft mat a while ago which I absolutely love, but unfortunately washi tape won't stay stuck to it, so my stencil slipped a bunch. I sprayed with some Lindy's sprays, then sponged with distress oxide inks until I had a nice warm background.  A piece of vintage lace is wrapped around this layer as my horizontal panel, then I just layered some scraps of Amber Moon paper behind the sentiment and added a bunch of upholstery thread.  The finishing touch was a metal embellishment in the corner.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you have a splendidly creative November. We'd love to have you play along with the sketch this month. Verve stamps aren't required, but there is a monthly prize up for grabs!  Play as long as often as you like. I love to see what you create!

Enabler's List
Stamps: Scripture Medley 5 (Verve Stamps)
Paper: amber moon (Prima Marketing), cream (Neenah)
Ink: antique photo, vintage photo, walnut stain, wild honey, fossilized amber distress and oxide inks (Ranger), spray ink (Lindy's Stamp Gang), early espresso (SU!)
Accessories: leaf stencil (Carta Bella), upholstery thread, embossing powder, metal embellishment (The Funkie Junkie Boutique), modeling paste (Prima Marketing), vintage lace trim, paper distresser


Other Links
November 2017 Viva la Verve Sketch
Best Ever Craft Mat by Ken Oliver (Amazon)

9 comments

Purple Princess said...

I love the lace!

Lesley said...

Beautiful!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Amazing textures, colors and layers! Love the background and the fab metal corner, they add a lovely feel to the whole design!!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card with a nice sentiment. Love the colors. Great new Viva la Verve sketch.

Hetty said...

Love the shabby theme of your card, Julee.

Marisa said...

Gorgeous leaf background and a beautiful card :)

CherylQuilts said...

This is beautiful, Julee, and I love the rich fall colors! I personally like the measurements because I struggle with layouts! Ha! Just let me color, and then I struggle terribly with layouts. If I had measurements, I think it would help me. However, I may be in the minority. So here's my vote (for whatever it is...ha!). Hugs, sweet friend! (Way behind but making headway!)

Migdalia said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
Crafting with Creative M

wilber said...

Love this card and thank you so much for including the measurements!