Powered by Blogger.

BeYOUtiful

Hi friends! Hope you've had a fabulous week since the last time I posted! We had a fun time with friends and family and in little pockets of time throughout the week I worked on a mixed media canvas. I have huge list of projects I want to create, but until now haven't had the freedom to work on them. One thing I can see myself doing a lot is making canvases. I love the texture, the process and that feeling of creating something out of nothing.  I was super excited to see that Tiffany had a new workshop, so ordered it up and couldn't wait to get started when it went live. Layer by layer, I had so much fun and learned a lot from her video, mostly that patience is the key. These canvases aren't built in a day.  LOL


I'll keep the how to as simple as a link to Tiffany's Dream Big workshop, which is still at the intro price through 7/15. I stayed pretty true to her design, branching out with a few of my own details and swapping out a couple colors and products. I particularly liked the combination I came up with on the metal pieces of chocolate impasto paint dry brushed with a blue/gold opal magic paint from Finnabair. It really gives a gilded glow to the canvas.  It was a super fun project, and I was so excited that the little wood chip piece I used for my title is the same as a fabulous little glass jar and coffee mug I just bought for when I revamp my studio. Kellan had such a chuckle when he got the be YOU tiful meaning, it just makes me smile. Can't wait to hang this piece. The canvas is about 12" wide.


One of my favorite elements are the stitched squares and rectangles, which I created by taping a couple stitched dies together to cut a frame from chipboard and then layering three chipboard frames together and embossing with white embossing powder. I made a bunch all at once and know I'll be adding these to some of my future projects.

I just finished reading Legendary this weekend, the second book in the Caraval series and the wings and clock elements of this piece really meshed with the reading. I really enjoyed both books and would recommend them.


How about you? What have you been up to?  Crafting, reading, working, vacationing, shopping ... would love to hear what's going on in your world.

9 comments

~ginny said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I would hang that canvas in my home in a second - in fact, I would pay for that if you decide to sell! Especially love the verdigris coloring and the interlocking rectangles.
~ginny
RubberMAD

Purple Princess said...

Wow!! Just amazing!!

SewPaperPaint said...

Julee, it's lovely to see you stretch those mixed media wings I know you've been so anxiously desiring to use! This canvas is incredible and I agree, what a perfect mix of elements and colors. And so sweet of Kellen, you will always remember that when you look at this beautiful work. Big hugs, Autumn

kiwimeskreations said...

What a beautiful canvas Julee - love the depth and texture, and the colours are so subtle too. Those interlock squares/rectangle are a fabulous accent. Enjoy the freedom to create.
Blessings
Maxine

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Wow what a stunning project. Good thinking to heat emboss for projects ahead of time. I'm going back to take another look at your project.

Christine said...

This is gorgeous and must have been so much FUN to create! I love the overlapping rectangles and how they are echoed in the background texture. The colors are just fabulous and this will make a room special.

Kathy Schweinfurth said...

Wow, Julee! Your project is fabulous!!

Sari said...

Really beautiful!! You are so talented :)

Colleen Dietrich said...

Absolutely stunning, Julee!!