Powered by Blogger.

Something Different

Hi friends! Today I'm sharing a little mixed media piece I made a while back. It's been long enough that I'm not sure I actually remember the journey that got me to the finished product, so I'll try to piece it together.


I also just moved my photography setup to a place where I don't have to become a human pretzel to take photos. Yay! I'm still playing with lighting, so sorry the photos are a bit off, these were my test shots. Edited to add... couldn't stand the darkness in the phot so I retook the above photo. :)

I know the piece started with a little 2 x 4 block I got at the dollar store. Strip it down and you might just find a picture of a cocktail and the phrase, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.  Haha! I liked the shape and planned to alter it when I bought it, and am pleased with the way it turned out.

I first wrapped the entire block with old text paper, adhering with matte medium. Then I gave the whole thing a good coating of heavy white gesso. I then added a little wood grain texture with light paste and a stencil in places.



Next I turned to the focal piece. I knew I wanted to use a piece of the zella teal paper line, so stamped my sentiment, the Micah 5:5 verse from the Scripture Medley 5 set, in archival black, then framed with a resin prima frame. In hind sight, it makes A LOT more sense to finish the painting and altering of the resin frame BEFORE adhering your sentiment piece, but that's how you learn, right?  I did reinforce the back with a circle die cut from cardboard packaging and glued down with matte medium.

Next I set to work assembling my collage.  I had purchased some melange glass domes and some art stones that I had never tested out, so decided to add texture with those, gluing them down and adding a bronze metal piece in the upper corner, leaving room for my sentiment frame to glue in at the end.  Once everything was dry, I started adding in color bloom sprays in aquas and greens until I achieved the color mix I was looking for.  I did all sides of the block and resin frame and tried to get a variation of color into the cracks of the texture. Next I pulled out the some brass finnabair paint and wax and brushed on in places to get a good patina looking feel.  I added in the leaves, which were from prima, and colored with greens and then the same waxes.  A dry brushing of gesso brought back some highlights, and  I added some darker accents with Daniel Smith watercolors.

The piece was finished off with the zella teal butterfly, which I think gives it such a dreamy look.


Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you have a wonderfully creative day.

Enabler's List
Stamps: Scripture Medley 5 (Verve Stamps)
Paper: book text, Zella Teal (Prima)
Ink: color bloom sprays (Prima), daniel smith watercolors, heavy gesso, aged brass wax and paint (Art Alchemy), archival black (Ranger)
Accessories: resin frame, melange, art stones, leaves, Zell Teal butterfly (Prima), matte medium, light paste, stencil

4 comments

Purple Princess said...

Amazing work! I love all the texture!

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Julee! This is so incredibly beautiful! I love these colors and how you used the glass baubles. Awesome inspiration and stamp! Hugs, Autumn

JoAnn said...

Very different, but a beautiful work of art. Love all the texture and the pretty butterfly looks great with it. TFS

R.A.Ciężka said...

wow! It's very beautiful <3