Powered by Blogger.

Thankful Altered Embroidery Hoop

Hi friends! Welcome to another week. I had a chance to do a little mixed media altered embroidery hoop project over the weekend. I've been wanting to do one of these for ages, and Tiffany's Create with Prima video tutorial (link below) a couple weeks ago was just the push I needed to actually do it.


It will come as no surprise that I pulled out the Amber Moon collection again. I loved Tiffany's project so much that I wanted one for my very own! I was also thinking about the Home for the Holidays Falliday Fest challenge to create something with a window or a door. A friend of mine once had a circular window in her house with these really ornate custom shutters all around and I thought I could recreate the look of that window with this little 4" embroidery hoop.

I started by tracing the embroidery hoop on the journaling card I wanted to use as my backdrop.  I then treated with a very thin coat of gesso and stenciled some vines onto the entire sheet with light paste. While that was drying, I coated the hoop and the prima resin frame with gesso. Since the frame was huge and an oval shape, I broke it in a few pieces with my hands and used just the bottom section of the frame, keeping the other section for another project.  I then added a thick coat of crackle paste all around the hoop and set aside to dry.  Next I dry brushed on some gold paint just on the stenciled portions of the journaling card circle.



The 1 Chronicles 16:54 verse is from the Scripture Medley 3 set and I've embossed it in gold onto a vellum circle to fit inside the hoop.  I tore off the top and bottom of the circle, then laid it over the paper and glued everything to the back side of the embroidery hoop.

Now that everything was dry, I went back in with a prima planner glue pen, adding some glue here and there to the raised edges of the resin frame pieces and the hoop.  Then I used prima rub-on foil to give the golden accents to each of the pieces.  I then glued the resin pieces down, making sure to glue down that leaf in between to break it up, and also to give me a wide enough even platform to lay the thankful ephemera piece over the top. I finished off with three flowers from the Amber Moon collection, a bit of upholstery thread and some metal embellishments.  My finishing touch was the little ephemera birdie popped up on the windowsill.

I've had a real struggle over the years trying to use things in my stash.  Flowers like this are so pretty and expensive on a per embellishment basis, so in the past I've always doled them out one or two at a time on projects. But many are too big for cardmaking, which means I have collected an entire shopping tote full of leftover flowers over the years. They don't make it onto my cards as often as they used to, and since I'm so inspired by all the mixed media projects I see using Prima embellishements, I decided it was time to actually start using up what I buy, and not caring about how much goes into a project, just that I enjoyed creating it and like the finished project. And I love it!  I think I'll have to make another Christmas themed hoop to change out when the seasons change.


Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you found a little inspiration here. Have a fabulous start to your week.

Enabler's List
Stamps: Scripture Medley 3 (Verve Stamps)
Paper: 4x6 Amber Moon Jounaling cards (Prima), vellum
Ink: Versamark, Art Alchemy ancient coin metallique paint (Prima)
Accessories: Memory Hardware Resin Frames- Montchamp Imperial, Amber Moon Ephemera, Aspen & Woodrow Amber Moon Flowers, Planner Glue Pen, Golden Girl Rub-On Foil sheets (Prima),  Light Paste, White Crackle Texture Paste, Heavy Gesso (Prima), Gold embossing powder (JudiKins), metal embellishments (The Funkie Junkie), 4" embroidery hoop (Darice)

Other Links:
Fall Theme Altered Embroidery Hoop video tutorial by Tiffany Solorio
Falliday Fest Home for the Holidays challenge on SCS
4" embroidery hoops on Amazon

5 comments

Purple Princess said...

WOW! Just gorgeous!!

Lee-Anne said...

Love this, Julee!

DIANA L. said...

Beautiful Julee.

Mimi said...

This is awesome!!!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Julee, I love how you've used this Falliday Fest challenge with the embroidery hoop! It's absolutely gorgeous! I love the Scripture verse gold embossed, and the flowers are amazing! Beautifully finished with the thankful on vellum! Hugs and blessings, sweet friend!