Powered by Blogger.

Curly Curry Wonder

Happy Tuesday! Today I have a special card for you. Betty asked the Member Companies to create samples for the Splitcoast Color Challenge today in honor of the 250th challenge. Wow! 250 weeks of color inspiration! That's so cool! I was excited to play along, and then Betty emailed the colors and I saw Crushed Curry on the list. Eeek! Now, I don't dislike Crushed Curry, I just don't usually work with such bright colors, however, I'm glad this little challenge came along, because I love how my card turned out.


The challenge is to use Crushed Curry, Real Red and Sahara Sand (or similar colors). Check out this post on SCS for all the details and to play along! There's also a dessert option (sort of like a twist) of buttons.

To start off with, I knew I wanted to make a Christmas card, because I hoped I could make the combo give that opulant red and gold feel I get from our Christmas tree! I've found when working with bright colors, it's always best to mute them by doing a little tone-on-tone background stamping. I chose the scroll background from Bountiful Backgrounds and stamped it all over with Crushed Curry. Next I cut a rectangle with Sahara Sand, and used my Nestabilities die as a stencil to shade the inner edges of the rectangle with Sahara Sand ink. I embossed the Star of Wonder sentiment in Real Red and then matted on a real red panel, punched with the Fiskars Sunburst border punch. Next I added some buttons from the Playground Designer Buttons collection by SU! and then embossed the large star from Star of Wonder in Real Red on Crushed Curry. I trimmed out the star, popped up on dimensionals and added a red rhinestone to the center. The top bow is Real Red polka dot grosgrain, and I just LOVE this ribbon. So yummy! I added a little button and some gold cording. See those little curly-cues? In my last shopping outing I found packets of Bow-dabra wired cord at Michael's. They were in the ribbon section and were 99 cents a packet (for a good amount of cording) and come in both silver and gold. I love how the wire makes it keep the little curly cues if you wrap it around a slender dowel.

Okay, that's it for today! Hope y'all are having a fabulous week and keeping out of trouble! Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments

Dawn Easton said...

I saw this on SCS last night and was oohing and awwwwing over it! It's beautiful, Julee!
Happy Holidays to you and Mark!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The colors look fantastic together. And, of course, your design is nothing less than perfection.

Maureen said...

I feel the same way about crushed curry...love it in cooking but it's a hard one to work with on cards...but you did it!! Gorgeous details and I'm going to look for some of that wired cording...3 more sleeps!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Julee - I think your card is FABULOUS!!! I really love these colors...and I so need to play :)!!! Perfect design too!!!

Merry Christmas to you and Mr.Verve!!! Hugs ~S~

Jackie Pedro said...

This is GORGOUES, Julee!!! You do Crushed Curry beautifully!!!

Betty Wright said...

Julee, a girl after my own heart! I do not do much with bright colors, either! I was iffy on the crushed curry myself! Your card turned out gorgeous, though! A seasoned pro! Beautifully done! A perfect blend of colors, stamping, and detailing! Thanks so much for playing along!

bowdabra said...

Julee,

Thank you so much for the great idea using the bowdabra bow wire. I appreciate your mentioning our product!!!

Hope you have an amazing 2010!

Sandy Sandler
inventor of the bowdabra
www.bowdabra.com

ps. we are always looking for projects for our nonprofit website www.c4k555.org