Powered by Blogger.

The Joy of Grunge

If you're here for my Diva Inspirations Hop post, click here or scroll down.

Hi friends!  I mentioned last Friday that I made a few cards with this week's Viva la Verve sketch, so I'm back today sharing another one.  A bit on the grungy subway side of things, but I sure had a lot of fun with it.



One of the things I love most about mixed-media is that there ends up being all these hidden layers peeking through that add so much texture and meaning.  Here I started with a white square of cardstock, wiped with a bit of gesso.  Then I stamped the flowers from Petals & Wings several times around the corners in smoky slate and the flower centers in so saffron.  This seemed a bit bright, so I ended up adding a watered down layer of gesso over  some of the stamping, then sponging with pumice stone and tumbled glass distress ink, then went around the edges with a black gelato and blended with a wet cloth.

Next I stamped the butterflies in smoky slate on so saffron and cut with the matching Wings & Petals Die Set.  I accented them with grey rhinestones, then stamped the sentiment in the white area of my square and layered the butterflies on top.  

The smoky slate layer behind is stamped randomly with more Petals & Wings flowers, then more black gelato and some distressed edges.  I added some fun washi, then did some more gelato grunging to the soft sky card base.  I finished off with a bit of moistened gelato over a stencil.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I hope you have a fabulous day!

Enabler's List
Stamps: Petals & Wings (Verve Stamps)
Paper: soft sky, so saffron, smoky slate (SU!), white
Ink: smoky slate, so saffron (SU!), tumbled seaglass (Ranger Distress), Tuxedo Black (Memento Luxe), black gelato (Faber-Castell), gesso
Accessories: Wings & Petals Die Set (A Cut Above by VERVE), Dot Fade layering stencil (Tim Holtz), washi tape, rhinestones (MME)


2 comments

Marisa said...

Your subway art comment was perfect. Smokey grey with a pop of colour. Can imagine you having great fun making this :)

Lea Lawson said...

Wow...this is really cool!!! It's so grungy & pretty at the same time...fantastic job!!